CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lord Save Us From Your Followers


So Nic ordered this book from Amazon with a couple of others and while he started on one of the other books I started this one. I am only a couple of chapters in to it so far but until this point it has been incredible. Dan Merchant does an awesome job of opening my eyes to how stubborn Christians can actually be. He talks about as Christians we are always preaching the gospel of love, which is what we are called to do, but we are pushing it on people without hearing their side of the story and if you do that then you will never build relationships with people. Then instead of drawing people in you actually push them away. It is an incredible book and Dan Merchant can explain these things a lot better than I can. It is a very good read and I would suggest that you guys check it out if you get a chance. I will leave you guys with a paragraph from the book that has been on my mind all day......Dan Merchant talks about on his way into church he sees a bumper sticker on a car outside in the church parking lot that says "Lord, Save Us From Your Followers." He talks about how he found the sticker humorous and then he says this.....


As I walked away from that bumper sticker, something else stirred in me-I imagine it was God tapping me on the shoulder-a realization that far too many people have been one of those Followers and I have been one of them too. My heart sank. I had to admit there have been far too many instances where my selfishness, impatience, ignorance, arrogance-you name it-has pushed people further away from God rather than closer to Him. It's a bummer to realize I am one of them. It's kind of a drag to realize that I am part of the problem-it's much easier simply to blame those I don't like. Do you recognize yourself as one of them too?

1 comments:

Clay said...

I like where you are coming from on this J-Co, as well as the messages you shared from the book. I agree that its a fine line between sharing the gospel and pushing people away... let me know what the book says in later chapters about how to get the job done as a witness without being pushy. I am interested in what you learn in the book from that aspect.

You are a blogging machine!